Saturday, November 15, 2008

To Be Savage

To Be Savage

I am Bernard Marx
an alpha trapped in the body of a gamma
Can't we just be alone?
I wish you were mine
I wish that you didn't belong to everyone else
Pneumatic as you are

Oh to be savage
the late John Savage
appreciator of tears
lover of Shakespeare
the necessity of tears
a yearning for God
that doesn't manifest Himself as an absence

I read Brave New World today. It's the first time I've read it since I had to read it for highschool. I wonder how people come up with new ideas. After reading the book, I think I could come up with my own version of a failed utopia but I wonder how the first person did it. How did they do it without reference material? How do people invent new phrases? How do people create things? Maybe no one has ever created anything. Maybe everything that has been created has been based on something else... a deep yearning in the heart.

When I first was reading Brave New World, I really felt like Bernard Marx. But as you meet John Savage, I feel like you are forced to feel like you're John. I wonder if everyone feels that when they read it. Does everyone see themselves as the hero in a book? Are there people out there who read books and think that they are the villian? I wonder. Peace out.

1 comment:

Suzanne Rowley said...

I really like this poem, I'm a bit like yourself - I call myself a poet but I'm really not, or maybe I am....I don't know. What's it take to be a poet anyhow?