Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Candles

The Candles

Another year,
another birthday
a cake with candles
and a choice to blow them out
or not
unlike most years
the song ends with darkness
as not a single flame survives

I'm not sure how common the game is but when we blow out the candles on our birthday cakes, the number of candles that remain lit are the number of girlfriends you'll have that year. Well, yesterday was the first time there were no candles remaining since I've heard about the game. I debated about whether or not I wanted to blow out all the candles. It was a tough decision because I do like to stick to traditions and keep streaks alive, but I guess 2 streaks ended last night... candles and poems. In retrospect, it wasn't such a tough decision though because I only have a little over 8 and a half months to redo the whole thing over again. Maybe in a future poem, I'll discuss why I chose to blow out the candles. Peace out.

No comments: