Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Seasons

The Seasons

It's the Japanese autumn:
the season of change. The leaves
turn magnificent hues of yellow, orange,
red. The seed pods off the maple trees
float gently to the ground. They are
getting ready for the warmth of spring.
The daffodils are in full bloom. The tulips
make way
for the irises and lilies. Summer
rolls in:
a time for weddings, a time for dancing
under the full moon on sweaty August
evenings. We save winter for last. Both
of us out of our primes, graying, decaying
and not regretting a thing. We both smile
and remember the yellow spring.

Yeah, today, as I was sitting in church and drawing my one millionth eye, it hit me. Lately, I've been obsessed with drawing eyes. Maybe it's because I don't think I should be drawing ears or noses all the time, although believe me, they could use the attention as well. But it's because I want to be able to draw the eye and every attempt so far has felt like... I dunno, like they have fallen short or something is missing. The proportions are not right or it lacks depth and emotion. I feel like maybe it appears that I'm obsessed about writing about this one thing, but it's because I don't think I've gotten it right yet. There's something missing in my retelling of the events or my description of the emotions. It's just not complete. I feel like a potter who keeps trying to build this pot, this magical pot. And I build one and it's no good so I smash it down and start over and try again, and again... until perhaps one day, it's right and it's real. It's just in my case, I end up publishing my failed attempts. Anyways, that's what I was thinking about today. Peace out.

No comments: