Saturday, November 29, 2008

Her Prime

Her Prime

There was a time
when she was in her prime
that we would sit under the elm
and hear stories about her lovers
but now she grows tired
and we can see it in her eyes
tired from reading that one letter
tired from crying night after night

I just finished reading The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark. It was quite an enjoyable read but I'm glad it was a short novella. I don't know how much I would have enjoyed it if it had gone on and on. Miss Jean Brodie talked about being in her prime a lot. It makes me wonder when my prime will come or if it's already passed. Growing up, I was told that it's a disaster to have your prime in high school because you will spend the rest of your life looking back to those days and wondering if they will ever return. I had an alright time in high school. I wouldn't say that I was in my prime then. I guess that is somewhat good news for me. Peace out.

No comments: