Monday, September 22, 2008

The Pursuit

The Pursuit

They have a half days head start on us
and carry our two comrades away with them
We might catch them if we rush

We track them across the plains of Rohan
we've already made up 3 hours
Hopefully we'll see our friends again

2 days with little sleep and my legs are burning
The orcs of the white hand are just over the next hill
There's a new found hope and our strength is returning

So this morning when I got out of bed, I started wondering how many miles could I cover in a day if I tried my hardest.  I was thinking of the beginning of Tolkien's Two Towers and how Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas were pursuing the Orcs in order to rescue Merry and Pippen.  I wonder if I could cover a marathon distance in a 24 hour period.  How often would I need to eat?  How often would I need to stop?  How many days would it take me to recover?  I dunno.  I think I want to try that some day after the LCC.  I think it would be an interesting experiment indeed.  How long will my mind hold up before I just quit?  Sometimes, when I run, I try to pretend that a big nasty dog is chasing me.  That method doesn't work for very long.  Maybe I'm not gullible enough.  Who knows.  Peace out.

No comments: