Sunday, September 21, 2008

Despair

Despair

They say that Despair has no boundaries
no one has ever been able to explore it all
A few have ventured in head first, legs running
but eventually Despair takes them and they slow to a crawl
They underestimate how thick Despair can be
a machete alone will not be your deliverer
Its vines grab hold of you, squeeze you
Until you forsake all dreams of her
and settle for an unfinished map of the region
They say that Despair has no boundaries
I'm trapped inside and none can be seen

Nice, I really like that one.  The idea of mapping an area called Despair was inspired by a passage in Morgenstern's sequel to The Princess Bride, "Buttercup's Baby".  When I read the section about how the cartographers never bothered to map out the region, it reminded me of the island in C.S. Lewis' Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  There's an island where all your dreams come true... sounds good at first but then you find out that all your darkest/scariest nightmares come true.  When I read about Despair, I kinda imagined it to be some what like the island of nightmares.  Well, at least those are the influences I based this poem on.

Today's sermon was on joy and I also listened to the sermon from Elim Chapel online today and it too was on joy.  I just thought it would be more interesting to write about despair however.  Oh well.  Yesterday, I read through all my poems again and I really love some of them.  Of course, others are not so great but some pieces I can honestly say that I'm proud of.  When I started writing today, I started to think that I wouldn't be able to write something great again.  That maybe I was all tapped out.  As though all my best pieces were behind me.  I felt desparaged and I turned that around and wrote something... just like how a true artist would do it and in this blog, I'm pretending to be a true artist.   Hmmm.... didn't I write something about pretending?  Peace out.

No comments: