Monday, October 20, 2008

Secret Place

Secret Place

Where do you go to be alone
to do your thinking and day dreaming?
Do you bask in the green glow 
under a canopy of 400 year old trees?
Do you meditate by a stream
as you drown the worries of today with the sound of water?
Where do you go to dream
about the person you want to become?
Perhaps its on the peak of a mountain
or maybe the depths of your soul
Where is your secret place?

Yeah, I cut that one short.  I had some lines like "I got lost in your eyes, your beauty, your face.  Now I need directions to my secret place" or other cheesy lines like that but I decided against it.  I watched the movie "In the Land of Women" this morning b/c my sister had rented it.  I've seen it before but I like watching movies at least twice... no matter how bad they are.  You're wondering how I manage to do that with bad movies.  Well, I typically don't watch bad movies even once which absolves me from having to watch them twice.  Anyways, Meg Ryan's character had this place where she liked to go to be alone.  So yeah, that's was my inspiration today.

If I had decided to leave the "lost in your eyes" line in, what I'm gonna talk about next would make more sense, but now it's just kinda out of the blue.  It was April 17th, 1999.  I was studying with a bunch of friends for the Calc 2 final and I caught the 8:13pm 33 Maples bus home.  And on this bus was this gorgeous girl with red/brownish hair.  I was seated at the back of the bus and she was sitting across from me.  So every time I managed to pull my eyes away from my calc textbook, I would get lost in her eyes.  We held each other's gazes for several seconds after our natural urge to look away kicked in.  This happened several times on the way home and each time we held each other's gazes longer.  She got off before I did.  As I walked home from the bus stop, I remembered thinking, "When was the last time someone looked me in the eyes for that long?  And will it ever happen again?"  I felt like she caught a glimpse of my soul.  For years, whenever I could, I would take that exact bus home in hopes of running into her again.  It was not always convenient and it didn't happen often because I was usually home by 6:30 after a long day at school.  But whenever it was only the next bus or if I had to kill 30 minutes to take that bus, I would.  The bus stop was by the library downtown so I had a place to go and kill time.  So anyways, years later, I was on the same bus as her again.  It wasn't THE bus.  It was just some random bus.  And that's how I met your mother... j/k.  Long story short, the magic was gone.  She was still gorgeous but gorgeous isn't everything.  Peace out.

No comments: