Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hope

Hope

How many men have died of hope?
Hope is hardly ever a virture
many situations can be solved with a simple rope
chair
and gravity
Why don't they teach that in schools?
Candide suffered much for Cunegonde
because he had hope that she would be his wife
She did and he was miserable
He would tell you that he mocks the idea that hope floats
Hope made the hero hesitate
He thought perhaps if he could wait 
for a few more minutes
More people could be rescued
He was wrong and they all drowned
Hope dies last
because it kills you first


Hmm... I think that is one of my weakest outings as of late.  Believe me.  It came together much better as I was running today.  You'd be surprised how many ideas one can come up with as he runs a slow 7.6 miles.  I must say that it's easier to recall dreams than it is to remember any valuable thoughts that come to me while running.  Anyways, as promised, this is my Candide poem.  There was a line about how awesome hope was and since the book is satirical, I wanted to write this.  The whole book basically was ripping on the notion of optimism and how ridiculous an idea it is.  Sometimes I would have to agree with Voltaire.  Does that make me dark and twisty or just a little more complicated and thus interesting.  The polls are still out.  Peace... out? Anyways.  Laters. :P

No comments: