Saturday, October 18, 2008

Late

Late

I think one thing I've learned to hate
is the notion of running ridiculously late
perhaps it's because it cost me a chance to get to know you

If only I had arrived one month sooner
he wouldn't have had a chance to know you
much less swoop on in and be your something new

Again I was one year late after it was over
April rains become May showers
but I misplaced my courage
and now I fear, once again
that I'm late

Lately I've been really annoyed with tardiness.  I can hardly be rational about it.  I just don't understand why people are constantly late.  I joke that punctuality is my love language.  Well, I've been told that punctuality is not a love language but if I were to write "The Five Love Languages", I would make it 6 and include it.  But what does that have to do with the poem?  Well, it doesn't really.  I just wanted to do some ranting about people being late.

The poem is about my newer theory on girls.  When I was younger I believed that there was only one person out there for you.  I still kinda believe that because of my fairytale notions that I've written about before but I guess I have a hybrid belief now.  Now I think that the timing is almost more important than who the girl is.  Of course it's also terribly important who the girl is but I think the timing almost trumps all.  Peace out.

Oh, one last thing.  I read Candide today by Voltaire and meh.  I had wanted to read it for the past few weeks but I only got to it today.  I had never heard of the book until I came across a list of some of the most banned books in history.  Apparently I've read a lot of them because teachers think it's cool to read formerly banned books in school.  Anyways, so I read Candide.  It's this french novel about some guy named Candide and it mocks optimism and the notion that God has created the world such that it is the best of all possible worlds.  I'm not sure what I think yet.  That's why I haven't written a poem about it yet.  Maybe tomorrow... ("maybe tomorrow"... great Nouveaux song btw).  Peace out again.

No comments: