Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sole

Sole

A lonely stranger wanders the town
on a raining summer evening
headphones in his ears
the bass line like his heart beating
his footfalls are soft
as he drags himself across town
He remembers the situation
and how he acted like a clown
He's been walking for so long
and now his gait seems to be wrong
he takes off his sandals
and examines them closely
the sole on his left sandal is worn way down
He suspects it's due to his heavy heart
and smiles
his discovery -- a minor victory

I kinda rushed this one because I have a bus to catch in a few minutes. I came up with the concept last night while playing I Will Follow You into the Dark by Death Cab for Cutie on guitar because I was looking for new songs to cover. I thought, "wouldn't it be great to write something about a dude that has been walking for so long that the sole on his left shoe was all worn out because of his heavy heart?" And that's what I tried to write. I may recycle the concept in a later date because I don't think the treatment was all that great today. Peace out.

1 comment:

L. said...

Very interesting concept. I love the idea of a heavy heart wearing out the sole of a shoe.

I haven't listened to "Death Cab for Cutie" before. I really like the song you mentioned...I will have to listen to more on youtube.