Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Run

The Run

I still recall the run
all those years back in time
when I wasn't a runner
I was just a dreamer
or more correctly described as a reader
as I sat there in the living room
reading about the end of the world
You were in the kitchen with my sister
recalling your night
with him
I take flight and run out of the house
preemptively
before I could hear anymore
to save my memory
and preserve my dreams

Hmm... Ok. Well, that's done now. Lately, I've gone on many runs and I can't really differentiate between them. I remember this run very clearly. I wasn't really a runner back then. I might go out for 4 runs the entire summer and usually nothing further than a mile. I remember hearing the initial parts of the conversation, running downstairs and changing and then leaving the house in a flash. It was like 5 minutes before lunch. It was totally an unreasonable time to go for a run but I knew I wouldn't be able to unhear anything I might hear. I wish I was running these days. Maybe I'll run tomorrow. Peace out.

3 comments:

L. said...

I liked this poem. It is so true how impossible it is to "unhear" what has been heard. Good luck with the running.

Joe said...

Thanks for the comment. I agree with you. My favourite movie is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

L. said...

Oh, I haven't seen that yet. Maybe this weekend I will rent it. Thanks. :)