Friday, December 19, 2008

Alternative Post Office

Alternative Post Office

This is the alternative post office
come have a tour
and then we'll let you explore
Letters written but never sent come here
they were never sent perhaps due to fear
They come here and are organized
as their authors sit at home agonizing
over the words that they poured all of their feeling
saying they're sorry or intimate feelings revealing
It's the holiday season and I'm sure you can see
that this place is especially busy

Unfortunately that was a weak piece but I really like the concept so again, I might do another poem with a similar concept. I was thinking today about all the letters that people write but never send... and then I started imagining that there are more letters unsent then sent. And then I started imagining that there was a post office for all those letters. The letters are never sent so they are just kept there and organized into nice little bins... bins that organize them into chronological order, or maybe by categories: apologies; you don't know who I am, but I love you; It's not you, it's me; why can't you see I'm hurting; I wish you were there for me when I was younger; and etc. I'm sure everyone has a mental drawer for all the letters that they have composed but never sent... maybe I can rhyme "sent" with "went" in my next piece with this concept. Peace out.

1 comment:

L. said...

I don't think this is a weak piece. I especially like this concept...wish I had thought of it myself! I am no stranger to unsent letters...I usually end up burning them in the wood stove :)