Friday, December 26, 2008

Accident

Accident

The soft light of dawn bleeds through the blinds
It's a new day according to scientists
marked by the rising sun
As for me, I've been living in yesterday
refusing to let the sun set on us
I wait for the mail
but I knew none would come
Dreaming that you would finally get around to replying
to the letter I never sent
It was an accident
that I chose to love you

I really had a hard time writing today. I was too pleased with myself with yesterday's piece. I've been wanting to create something beautiful for so long now and I feel like I finally might have done that with that piece. I remember as a child, when I would draw something that I really liked, I would leave it by my bed so that whenever I get the urge, I could wake up in the middle of the night, turn on the light and look at it for a few seconds before going to bed again.

I think as people who write things, draw things, sing things, we just want to create something beautiful. I love how everyone loves beauty even though we may have varying ideas of what beauty is. We are all able to appreciate beauty and want to be a part of something beautiful. Like the line in Mr. Jones by Counting Crows, "I wish I was beautiful". That was one of the first songs I learned to play on guitar and I loved that line. It's just such a simple desire. The desire to be beautiful, to be loved by someone you find beautiful and to be a part of something beautiful.

I had to write something today knowing that it wouldn't be beautiful. I expect beauty to come once on a blue moon for me. I just need the practice in writing. Just like a person learning to draw, it's the repetition that I need in order to find my voice or to find my style. On a totally different note, when did people start saying "on accident"? I've always said "by accident". Peace out.

1 comment:

L. said...

Maybe this one doesn't have the beauty of your last poem, but it is still quite good. I like the line "the letter I never sent" and the idea of choosing to love someone being an accident. It does seem that way sometimes. And I agee with you about beauty and how much we all want to have just a piece of beauty somehow in our lives. Your posts are always thought provoking for me. :)