Sunday, January 27, 2008

Words

Words

Words words words
why are there so many words?
daffy, irrational, crazy, absurd


Yup, you're getting to know me pretty well... uninspired. In my slow reading of 1984 I've come across a section where one of the characters is taking part in reinventing the language which they call "newspeak" and the goal of this new language is to simplify the language so that the meanings of words are black and white and therefore, many of the words are being erased from the vocabulary. I think it's an interesting project. I understand the need for so many words because then writers can have more nuances in their writing and show how clever they are by choosing the perfect word for a situation. But at the same time, I do think it would be interesting to see what would happen if the english language was greatly simplified. And while they are at it, maybe they can spell words the way they are pronounced! Why isn't "sure" spelt "shure"? *sigh.

No comments: