Friday, January 4, 2008

Wake Up Stress

Wake Up Stress

It's midnight
I should get to bed because I have an important day coming up
I crawl under my covers and
turn off the light

1 am
I'm fine
as long as I sleep fairly soon I'll still get 7 hours of sleep
What is that? Like three cycles of REM?

2
Sheesh.
How did one hour pass so quickly?
Maybe I'll read a chapter of Eldest to get myself tired
She-elf, Arya, I love you

3
My eyes are so tired
but even if I fall asleep right away, I'll only get 5 hours
Maybe playing some mario kart on my ds will help
Hmmm... it's been a while since I played luigi

4
Why am I so awake now?
Maybe I should get out of bed and do something productive
I phail at sleeping

5
I'm so screwed now
No matter what happens, I'm gonna be so tired
What time does the sun rise?

8:22
I hit the snooze button once for good measure


Hmm... that was fairly weak. I don't know how I'm gonna keep this chain alive. Things are getting harder. And I'm running on like 2 hours of sleep, but I want my chain to proudly announce that I've "been getting stuff done for 3 days straight". Why can't I sleep? Because I'm handing in my thesis today. Why is that a big deal? Cause I don't know if grad studies will accept it without any changes and I'm pretty much out of time. I wish I didn't have such a good imagination. I can manage to imagine all sorts of things going wrong.

Anyways, if it wasn't clear in the "poem", wake up stress is something I get when I know that I should get a good night sleep cause I have to be awake at a certain time the next day. And every hour that I lie awake (not sleeping), my mind starts to worry that I won't get enough sleep and the worrying makes it even harder for me to sleep. Worrying - the man-made perpetual motion machine.

One thing about the new year that I don't look forward to is reading Genesis. I'm reading the Bible this year in chronological order of the events that occur in it. It's called the Daily Bible and it's probably the 4 or 5 bible reading program that I've done in recent years. This morning, I read about Nimrod, a mighty hunter before the Lord. I dunno why but I associate the name Nimrod with a stupid, pathetic person... not a mighty anything. What word am I actually thinking of but not remembering properly? Anyways, maybe when my thesis gets approved by the Faculty of Graduate Studies, I'll write a poem titled "w00t", the word of the year in 2007.

No comments: