Thursday, January 24, 2008

Night Train

Night Train

Half past four
I undress as I sit on the corner of my bed
My shirt stained by the cares of today tossed on the floor
Phantom thoughts occupy my mind
As I attempt to focus on one
It's gone
They leave only a trace of sorrow
Elusive yet its existence is brutally tangible
I can't believe it's already tomorrow
The house shakes with the rumble of the night train
I crawl into bed to get two hours of sleep
and prepare myself for another day
of more of the same


Nice. I like that one. It's 10:16 am. I can't believe I'm getting this done so early today. I just read about 70 pages of The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. I really like it so far. It mentioned a night train so that's the inspiration for today. So many of these great books revolve around WW1 and WW2 eras. I guess great books are sad books with characters wandering through life not feeling a part of their world... or longing for the girl that loves you but chooses to be rich instead. Maybe like Robert Cohn, I need to get me to South America and find some inspiration to know what I want to do with the rest of my life. Maybe I need to forget about Brett Ashley and move on.

No comments: