Saturday, October 23, 2010

Suitcase

Suitcase

My suitcase
doesn't have infinite space
I pace the room
and debate
What can be left behind?
How much to pack for how long a time?
I look
but find no answers


I hate packing. That's not something new. I don't find any joy in packing and the decision making that is involved. I've always hated packing... not just because I'm leaving for a longer time than I'm used to. I hate packing for trips, for Winter Conference, Spring Retreat, and all other packing in general. It's sort of like trying to tell the future. I put things in a bag because I think I may need them in the future. I can plan and plan and I can easily be wrong. Yes, even I can be wrong.

I think a lot of people are fascinated with the idea of packing. I think the question, "if you were stranded on an island, what so-and-so would you want to have with you?" is another way to approach the idea of packing. What things do you value in your life? What things do you want with you? What things in your life have less value? What's in your suitcase/backpack? And what have you decided that you can leave behind? Peace out.

No comments: