Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Model

The Model

I thank you
for I have modeled every girl after you
The way your smile seems so natural
and your laughter light
as if it's dancing on tip toes

I made every hero an image
of who I long to be for you
Strong and silent
With words that change the tides of battle
and a hand that feels complete in yours


Yesterday, I finally got my hands on A Wrinkle in Time. I have wanted to read it for a while now because it was a book in the Lost Community Podcast Book Club, but I wasn't able to get my hands on it. I tried to sign it out of the public library, but it was in the childrens' section and I went in to look for it but felt really awkward so I left immediately.  But yesterday, I walked in with purpose grabbed the book and fled the scene.  Ha.

Today I read Stardust.  I enjoyed the movie and noticed that it was on a few lists of great fantasy novels so I thought I'd enjoy reading it.  I've been reading a lot lately.  I was revisiting my personal library and rereading old favourites but I guess I'm in a mood to read some new things now so I took out 5 books from the library that I've never read before.  Anyways, I have been reading quite a bit and I've started to enjoy reading the acknowledgements.  I never read them in the past but I think it helps me understand the books a little better.

If I were to ever write the stories in my head, I wonder what my acknowledgements would look like.  I wonder if I would thank all the girls that I model my heroines after.  I wonder if people who know me and read the book would say, "hey, I swear the girl in the book is totally so and so."  Would that make me pathetic?  A television show that I've always loved but have refused to revisit is Dawson's Creek.  Throughout the series, he tells the story of him and Joey three times in short movie, movie, and tv show form.  In a way, it's so sad, but don't we all just rehash our lives in our mediums of choice?  I dunno.  Peace out.

No comments: