Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Airports

Airports

airports
reunions and separations
we stand in lines to be scanned
and sit on chairs in large open rooms
waiting and waiting
for joy or sorrow
yesterday and tomorrow
and the planes continue to fly


Yup. I'm here in Calgary now. I was thinking about airports yesterday. Is there any other place where there is such a wide range of emotions? No one is super full of joy or devastated going to the super market. Airports are places where loved ones are reunited and it's also a place where family members are separated. Hospitals are another place with a wide range of emotions and it's obvious why without listing examples.

I don't understand how people can work at airports. I think it would be so emotionally draining. People understand that working at a hospital can be emotionally draining but we don't immediately think that when we think about people who work at airports. Maybe it's just me. I tend to get sucked into the emotions of the people around me. It's my super hero power... empathy. Yeah right. Peace out.

No comments: