Sunday, January 31, 2010

Narrate

Narrate

I am an actor
but I also narrate
setting up the story
a liaison for the audience
I set the stage
create the mood
Unfortunately my facts are biased
and my memory is no good

Yeah, weak. I just wanted to write something so I could get on with what I wanted to talk about and that is the concept of the "imperfect narrator". I first came across the term when I read The Sound and The Fury during the period when I was trying to read all the acclaimed books of the century. I read it and had no idea what I was reading so I looked to Wikipedia to see if it couldn't explain to me why the book was genius and I was too unenlightened to realize it. The idea of an imperfect narrator (I think) is basically when you read the book in someone's point of few but the view/facts may not be entirely accurate.

So I was thinking about that concept and I was thinking that everyone is their own imperfect narrator. I could tell you about my first relationship or what my experience in high school was like, but everything would be biased or at least egocentric. I wouldn't remember everything correctly and I could only guess at others' motivation. Everybody wants to have a good story to tell, but as imperfect narrators, do we see ourselves as the heroes, or the villains, or maybe just the extras in someone else's storyline? I dunno. This is my story. Peace out.

No comments: