Saturday, January 30, 2010

Calluses

Calluses

Now is not the time for playing
but for developing thicker skin
to shield from the pain
of metal strings
strung tightly over wood
Calluses
self-made protection
for your finger tips
from a hobby that you love
that causes pain at first
and is hardly ever rewarding

I strum four chords and walk away

Yeah, from time to time, a new song or a rediscovered song from my past will inspire me to play more guitar than my finger tips are ready to do at the time. The first day is usually ok. I can bare the pain of playing for quite some time but the next day is when I can barely even hold a chord. I guess it just hurts more the next day for some reason... like most things in life. That's how it is with working out as well. I know that when I start working out again after a time of taking things easy, I can really push myself hard that first day. But the next day, I pay for it dearly. I won't be able to go down stairs or wash my face a hold a chord. Peace out.

No comments: