Monday, July 6, 2009

The Foot Hills

The Foot Hills

Once again, I find myself in the foot hills
and I can't help but to think of you
It's as though the memories I buried
all those years past are wandering the grounds
and haunting the trans Can
I never thought I'd be back here again
going west is for the young
Their dreams are still alive
and their hearts are still full of hope
Promise lingers just over the horizon
always just beyond reach
My speed is now hindered by a trailer full of life
and an inability to sleep
the quest for rest, a daily struggle
I toss and turn
and yearn for a different destination
My imagination fails me
and I return home
the seat beside me empty

Hahaha, that is my travel writing piece. I just recently went on a little road trip to Calgary and this piece was brewing in my head the whole way. I didn't pack any paper or anything to write with but I hoped that I would be able to remember some lines that popped into my head. I was hoping that I would be able to capture the emotion I felt travelling on the 1 heading west. Those were the days. In my first year at university, I enrolled in a Travel Writing english class. I didn't know how the registration system worked and I just randomly registered for an english class to fulfill my english writing requirement. I never thought that one day I would be doing some travel poem writing. Actually, back then, I didn't think I'd be doing any writing. Hmm... if a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound? If I write something and no one reads it, did I actually write anything? Hmm... I'm not sure. Peace out.

No comments: