Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Mobius Strip

Mobius Strip

Today I thought it would be fun
to take a walk down a mobius strip.
The journey took twice as long -- it was twice the trip.
I found myself on the other side of the universe,
the underside, in the looking glass,
the world of mirrored images.
The persued is the persuer.
the woo-ed, the woo-er.
The "always" became "never".
Lines that were broken become unsevered.
Nothing can keep them apart
and they lived happily ever after
from finish to start

What a weird piece today. I was listening to a Lost podcast this morning. A bunch of the Lost podcasts are doing a rewatch of the first 5 seasons and then they discuss things that they notice in the earlier seasons with the knowledge of having watched 5 seasons. It's pretty interesting what things were foreshadowed in the earlier episodes. Thinking of Lost puts me in a strange mood and I started thinking about the mobius strip. It's such a weird geometric/mathematical idea. It's easily constructed with a simple piece of paper, a twist and some tape. Look it up if you're lost. What a curious idea that you can keep walking on the surface of a mobius strip and find yourself on the other side of where you started from... very Lewis Carroll and Through the Looking Glass. I wonder if it would be so bad if I found myself on the other side. I think Tweedle Dee and Dum would be a total hoot. Peace out.

No comments: