Friday, January 16, 2009

The Creative Class

The Creative Class

I enrolled you in the creative class
there are three requirements to pass
forget the facts and don't worry about the equations
draw a picture of anticipation
do a dance showing two souls waiting
write a song about one heart breaking
And when you graduate you receive a degree
you'll be able to relate to people
and you'll learn to love the trees

I know that I haven't written in over a week. I've had a lot of ideas churning but I never got around to writing. One of my goals this year was to journal more but I haven't. I feel like if I have time to write then I should have time to journal so my guilt for not doing the one prevents me from doing the other.

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of lectures/talks. One lecture was about how with the onset of the information age, the "working class" is slowly shrinking and a new class, the "creative class" is taking over. The creative class is made of people who aren't exactly blue collar workers and they're not the typical doctors/lawyers of the white collar class. I found it very interesting. Another talk that I was listening to was talking about how children are naturally creative and that education makes them unlearn it. I found that hauntingly true. When I take time to think about it, the arts are really so related and it seems that an artist is an artist no matter what media they decide to use. I'm often surprised that people who are good singers can draw too... or how dancers are closet painters. I hope that I'll be able to continue to unlearn my uncreativeness. Peace out.

1 comment:

L. said...

I really like this poem. Education really can take the creativity out. I love the "assignments" in you poem. And the "degree".