Saturday, January 17, 2009

Anonymity

Anonymity

Hustle and bustle
with parking lot freeways
and touch tone interactions
with machines on the phone
pregnant women standing on subways
while the youth are absorbed in their headphones
In the age of anonymity
we mourn the death of civility

I watched a documentary today about the death of civility. It's really sad. I like to think that I'm a pretty good guy. I open doors and hold them if need be. I say my thank yous and try to give people a hand when I can. I dunno. On the other hand, I also heard a lecture last week about how North America is obsessed with saying "thank you" and how it's not really a common thing in other countries because by saying "thank you", it's an indication that the two of you are not friends... so when you say "thank you" in Spain, it's like saying "thank you for holding the door for me even though we aren't friends". I dunno... I still think it's sad. Peace out.

No comments: