Sunday, May 2, 2010

Start Forgetting

Start Forgetting

I miss you already
and you're not even gone
The feeling is wrong
I can't shake it
I keep jumping to get a clearer view over the horizon
The future looming
Doom hanging over our heads
The time has come
the day that I've been dreading
You are indeed beautiful
but I must now start forgetting

Wow, I feel like I haven't written in so long but it hasn't been all that long. It seems like I'm in my usual mid-year writing drought. It seems like I write a lot at the beginning of the year and the end of the year and not so much during spring and summer. If I hadn't looked at when I wrote my entries, I would have thought the opposite would be true. I thought that I wrote a lot of my pieces during the spring/summer cause I like to think about things when I run outside. I guess that thinking doesn't translate into many pieces though. Oh well. It's pretty normal for our own perspective to not gel with reality.

Today's piece is about watershed moments. Events that are markers for looking at someone's life. Things either happened before the event or after. Things won't be the same again and instead of holding on to the past, one must move on and start forgetting. I love remembering. I pride myself in having a good memory, but I also appreciate the value of forgetting. It's such a valuable skill. It's the hockey playoffs right now and players love to throw out cliches when they are being interviewed. One cliche concerns the importance of forgetting a bad loss and moving on to the next game.

I wish I was better at forgetting. A few years ago, I read a book called The Amnesia Clinic. I think I might have mentioned it at the time. I read it because I liked the title even though the book was totally not what I thought it would be. I'm obsessed with the idea of remembering and forgetting. I don't know what it is. I guess it's just me. Peace out.

No comments: