Saturday, February 21, 2009

Porcelain Face

Porcelain Face

Contaminated by fragments from a real dream
where I stood as window dressing, a statue
I can't take this anymore, I need to scream
but my porcelain face is locked in a smile
that entices passer-bys to come in and shop a while
where the store keepers hawk their wares
perfumes and concoctions that promise to overcome despair
and maps that guide you out of your internal darkness
that will help you be cool and overcome your awkwardness
trinkets and nick knacks that are sold as treasure
I can no longer smile... my mask feels the pressure
as I try to frown and get the people to turn back
my porcelain face begins to crack
It cracks and crumbles and falls to the floor
with my image destroyed, I'm useful no more
and I'm discarded.

Today's post was inspired by a note from someone on Facebook. The note was about the Wizard of Oz and the region with the dolls made of porcelain but I took a different spin on it. Oh well.

I think the reason that I haven't been writing much lately hasn't been because I don't have anything to write but more because as more people (that know me) read this blog, the more I get concerned that I'm portraying myself as being too emo. I don't know. I just think that when I write, I tend to be darker and write about such topics with such tones that make me seem darker than I am. That's just what comes naturally/easily to me when I write. I don't know what else I can write about, or what else can envoke an emotional response from the reader. What else can I write about that matters? I dunno. I can't write about red wheel barrows or the song of the lark. Not that those things aren't important, but because I don't know how to write about them in a way that they would matter.

I've been trying to develop my drawing skills for a while now. I've always been fascinated by how an artist can take a simple pencil/paper and then use their skills to capture light and shadow in a way to create beauty. I even wrote about it really early on when I talked about a girl drawing with charcoal. What I want to draw is portraits. I really have no interest in doing still art or landscapes. I don't care if I ever am able to draw a believeable horse. I just want to be able to draw portraits... and I guess that's how I feel about my writing. I just enjoy writing darker, emotional pieces. Peace out.

No comments: