Tuesday, February 3, 2009

On the Road

On the Road

On the road
on a greyhound bus
heading west towards the mountains
There you were
a mysterious brunette stranger
I imagined your story
about perhaps how
you were visiting your grandparents
and then you were gone

I read On the Road by Jack Kerouac today. I like his name a lot more than I liked the book. I don't understand why books in which nothing happens are so popular. 300 pages and nothing happened. Oh well. I'm gonna take a break from these classics and read some historical fantasy. Anyways, the book reminded me of my first trip out west taking a greyhound bus. There was this cute brunette girl sitting behind me and my sister. I couldn't guess how old she was because it's fairly hard to do that these days with any accuracy. We actually spoke to her briefly. I don't remember a word of it now but I know at the time, it was a big deal to me and not as big a deal for my sister. Maybe if I ever get stranded on the "Lost" island, I might run into her again and find out that she and I are intricately connected. She got off at Medicine Hat (now that I think about it more, I think she got off in Abbotsford or something in BC) and I don't even think I could pick her out of a line up. Peace out.

2 comments:

L. said...

I liked this. I used to ride on greyhound buses a lot when I was a teen and in my early 20's. There was one time we were going over a bridge and the man beside me asked me to kiss him in the middle of the bridge. I am not sure why. He said it was a tradition of sorts. Needless to say, I did not kiss a complete stranger on a greyhound bus...but I will always remember that moment!
I am jealous of all your reading! I am trying to read "Look Homeward, Angel" by Thomas Wolfe. It is very good, but for some reason taking me forever to read.

Joe said...

Thanks. I wonder how many times that guy tried his "kiss me. we're on a bridge move" and I wonder what his success rate was. "Look Homeward, Angel" is on my list of books to read. I hope something happens in it.