Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Thick Skin

Thick Skin

I grew thick skin
to keep out the rain
and the harsh winds
Protection from the stones
being launched by the trebuchets of life
It grew ever thicker with the passing of time
I guarded my heart and shallowed my mind
to avoid the thoughts
that like mazes I ran through
lost in the what-ifs and the games that I imagined people played
On rainy days
I watched from the inside
safe from the storm
unreachable - immune to being harmed
The walls grew thicker with each new instance
I might be safe but I no longer have substance

This is more of an old school type piece for me. I actually came up with a concept before actually writing today. I just thought of it last night so I don't think I have had enough time to mull it over yet and I don't think it's a full grown idea at the moment but it was good to get something down before I forgot the idea all together.

Yesterday, I was peeling an orange with a fairly thick peel and I was thinking, "Wow, this huge orange got really small once I took off all the skin." There was no meat and hence the idea for this piece was born. It's still a young thought at the moment. I apologize for not letting it get more mature. Peace out.

No comments: