Saturday, June 26, 2010

Running Uphill

Running Uphill

I distract myself to pass the time
as my feet pound the pavement
yard by yard
travelling further than the day before
My thoughts unravel and I become conscious
of my burning quads and my lungs
gasping for air
I desperately search for a new distraction
a thought that will be stronger
stronger than the acid building up in my legs
a thought to bring strength back to my will
I dwell on the mistakes I made yesterday
and now it feels as if I'm running uphill

Today, I tried to run in the morning to avoid the rain and the heat of the day. I didn't actually start running until 10:30ish. It was humid as all -. I think the conditions were the toughest I've ran in so far this summer. I remember reading that it takes about 2 weeks for your body to acclimate to the heat. I guess I just need about another week of running in heat before I get a little more used to it. Then I'll be cool in all situations. As if.

Today was a hard run and I found myself lost in thought for some of it. It really does help to have something to distract you while you run. Sometimes I would think about stuff that happened years ago or last night. Whatever it takes to not think about putting one foot in front of the other and how much further I have to run before I can stop. Sometimes I ponder deep things like why do birds like to poo from some trees and not so much from other trees? Or am I more likely to have birds poo on me from trees if I run over the old poo spots on the sidewalk or try to avoid them? I didn't come to any solid conclusions but the thinking did help pass the kilometers. Any thoughts? Peace out.

No comments: