Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Broken Strings

Broken Strings

Broken strings and other things of various use
clutter a shelf where things go to die
Collecting dust with papers of varying value
they grow yellower with time
Some with rhymes scribbled to be remembered
others a sketch or two drawn by hands more youthful
A broken bracelet and a misplaced book
treasures to behold on rainy spring days
in which cleaning is expected

Everyone has a drawer of misc. stuff where they throw things that don't really belong anywhere else. It's the first place you look for something but have no idea where to start looking. I have a shelf for that purpose as well. I keep my guitar strings there: new and old. I don't know why I keep my sets of old strings. There's nothing I can do with them. Maybe one day I'll build a galimoto (sorry... reading rainbow reference). I don't know why I keep them. I was actually holding a set of old strings today and I asked myself, "why am I keeping these?" and then I put them right back on the shelf.

Sometimes we like to keep things in our lives that we really have no purpose for. Maybe they remind us of happier time or maybe of sadder times. Maybe we hold onto things because we have a hard time letting go. Maybe we keep them so that we can remember and so that we'll never forget. It baggage in physical form. I'm no super hero. I'm not standing on a soap box preaching. In fact, I have boxes of these things. When it comes time to back up my computer (and you should do that from time to time... seriously!), it gets me thinking of all my possessions and I honestly think that if my entire room burnt down and I lost everything, I wouldn't really be all that sad because I'm not really attached to anything really... but at the same time I never throw anything away. Would that be irony? I don't think so. I don't think there is anything on the internet that has been unanimously deemed to be ironic. Why do smart people like to argue about what is ironic and what isn't? Anyways, I'm rambling. Peace out.

No comments: