Monday, June 7, 2010

Believe

Believe

Clay pots on cobble stones
blood flesh and bones
moaning under the constant pounding
of a runner's awkward gait
He dodges in and out
avoiding puddles from last night's rain
pushing doubt from his mind
he lies to himself
he is strong
he is fresh
and can keep going for miles
He smiles and concedes
sometimes it's harder to lie to yourself
when you never ever wanted to believe

Yup, nothing like another piece about running. Falling back into my comfort zone. I started a new running program last week. I like doing programs these days. It seems that when I just leave things up to chance or what I'm feeling, I don't have the same motivation. I'm doing a 10 week program to train for a 10k run. I'm on week 2 now. It's a podcast that let's me know what intervals to run/walk. I don't like dance music. I wish there was more of a selection.

Anyways, how often do we lie to ourselves? to psych ourselves up, or to trick ourselves into being confident? I wonder what psychologists have learned about the behaviour of lying to ourselves to gain an edge in a competitive environment. I dunno. I think this is only a half developed thought at best. Still mulling. Peace out.

No comments: