Monday, October 5, 2009

Frost

Frost

I wake up
this cold windy day
the day after the first frost
and look around
to see what plants have been lost
the grass is covered with tiny crystals
and the tomatoes are the wrong shade of green
exhibiting hues of frost damage
Some of the hardier daisies sway in the breeze
defiance in their tender stems
It gives me hope that broken things can mend
seeing these daisies bloom on frosty mornings
I realize that things only sleep in the winter
to wake up again in the warmth of spring

Lame, but done. It's getting cold these days. I've been trying to run still but it's been getting easier actually. I dress up warm enough and try to put some miles on the old sneakers. Actually, now that I think about it, all this running is quite useless because once the real winter hits, my cardio will go back to zero and I'll have to start all over again next spring. How sad. Peace out.

No comments: