Saturday, August 24, 2013

Free Time

I found myself with two hours of precious free time
and knew I didn't want to waste them
so I sat and thought of all the things I could do
As a favour to my eyes, I could take a nap
As a favour to my heart, I could go for a run
As a favour to my mind, I could do yoga
to my brain, I could sink deep into the couch and watch tv
to my fingers, I could dance them across the fret board
to my future self, I could work on my penmanship
Time slips and slips

I dunno.  I was having a philosophical conversation yesterday about how there is a hierarchy of acceptable things to do during your free time.  Watching tv shows (especially soaps) are deemed a waste of time.  A nap is acceptable based on the audience.  Why is reading a book better than watching tv?  Is playing a video game with a friend slightly better than playing a video game by yourself?  Is playing video games with your kids better than going for a walk?  How about a walk vs doing chores around the house?  How about sprawling out on the floor, staring at the ceiling and actively listening to your favourite album?  Why is there value writing in your journal about the past when you can be doing something in the present?  At the end of the day, I say I dunno.  Do whatever you want.  Peace out.

No comments: