Sunday, January 23, 2011

Own It

Own It

I saw it and I bought it
like an itch that needed to be scratched
I needed to own it
and never have to give it back

I walked by you today
with an urge to tap your shoulder
I wished that I had needed to
I wish that I was bolder

I wish I had something to say
and the courage to have told her


Today I was thinking about ownership. I've been buying books lately like they grew on trees and it was fall and they fell off and I could pick them up for free. It got me thinking about how many times you have to read a book to justify buying it. I know that I own a few books that I've never read and I own other books that I've read way too many times. Then it got me thinking of how many times you need to listen to a CD to justify buying it. I don't think it is a simple as "if you listened to it once" it was worth the money type thing. I dunno how many listens it takes to have "used" the music so that it was worth the purchase.

Sometimes I think we just like to own things. I go through phases where I want to own things and other phases where I don't really have that urge. Right now I want to own things and I wish I didn't but at the same time, I wished I owned more things. I'm complicated. Peace out.

No comments: