Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Well

The Well

I keep going back to the well
hoping to find more words to say
something to write before the end of the day

My fear is that it will be empty
that I've ran out of my supply
that I've ran out of words... and I sigh

My hope is that I haven't wasted the ones I was given
on people that I love but yet haven't forgiven

Many writers think that they only have so many good words in them. I'm not talking about their vocabulary. I'm referring to how many great pieces they feel they can write. For some, it may be just a brilliant short story. Others may have a few novels in them. And yet others have the ability to write 1000s of words every day for their whole lives. I think it's the same way with song writers. People only have so many good songs in them. There comes a point when most writers think that their best writing days are behind them.

I've struggled with this a lot lately. Maybe my good writing days are behind me. Who knows. How many times can I sit down and want to write but find the well is empty? Sometimes I forget this blog is not really a place for me to write poems, but more of a place for me to write about stuff in general and introduce it with a poem.

I know that some writers have a strict schedule and they make themselves write 1000 or 2000 words a day or how many so pages. I think if I were to try to do something similar, I would end up writing about how I was struggling to find something to write about. Ha. Peace out.

No comments: