Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Twin Primes

We belong together
There are no factors
Alone in a sea of products
We are twin primes
Unique but not all that special
I'm not trying to be adversarial
You couldn't picture us visually
Our population is infinity

I wanted to write something super lame today.  Yesterday I came across a story about how this dude, Yitang Zhang, mathematically proved that for N < 70 million, there are an infinite number of paired primes that differ by N.  Twin primes are primes that differ by 2. e.g., 3 and 5, 11 and 13.  Although there are supposedly an infinite number of twin primes, the distance between these twin primes gets larger and larger until they can barely see each other.  It's an interesting concept.  It sorta reminds me of the imagery used in C. S. Lewis' "The Great Divorce" and how people in hell just keep moving further and further apart from each other because they can't stand being close to other people... like I said, it "sorta" reminds me of that.  Peace out.

No comments: