Monday, May 20, 2013

Investments

I drew a line
and took it back unsure of the angle
I threw a ball
and it came up short 
because my muscles lacked the memory
I tried to add
but was forced to subtract to make the bottom line look right
I practiced all these skills for a night
and it has yet to pay off

I'm currently listening to an audiobook about basic economics.  (Last week, I had someone search in google for "poems about conditional statement" and it lead the user to my poem "conditional statements"... haha.  Now I will have something for "poem about economics".)  Anyways, I think the author is in love with "market forces" but I am learning some cool things here and there as I listen to it while running or working out.

Something that stuck out to me so far was the idea of recouping initial investments.  When I was in Paris all those years ago and Montreal some years ago, I saw artists on the street that were drawing portraits for quite a lot of money.  I'm not sure why both cities I'm referencing are french, but whatever. I remember thinking, "wow, it would be nice to get paid $X dollars for such a short amount of work".  It only takes the artists a few minutes to do the drawing, but it took them years to develop the eyes and hands to be able to draw.  In the same way other professionals and athletes must invest in their skills before they can make the big dollar for what looks like easy/short work.

It begs the question: "what should I invest in?"  I dunno.  I think the world would be such a different place if everyone knew their answer to this personal question.  Peace out.

No comments: