Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tea Please

Table for two, I tell the hostess
She walks us to our table in the corner
So much glass
for better people watching
Your tea's too hot like usual

I sip mine with pinky in the air
and ask myself what am I doing here
Your mind is somewhere far away
longing for yesterday

When we still laughed and words came easy
and your hand would gravitate to mine as if they were soul magnets
Fingers intertwined
We'd sit there and pass the time
and people watched us instead
as I'd spread some butter over bread
They'd wonder about love's mystery
A boy
A girl 
and two cups of tea

Haha.  That was a fun piece to write.  On the train this morning, I was listening to a podcast where writers would write in (shocking I know), and ask relationship questions to the hosts.  One question this morning was concerning the first year of marriage and how they heard that it was the hardest year.  I wonder if it truly is the hardest year.  Of course, the hosts answered with the "it's different for every couple", but I wonder if it's not the best year.  And I wonder what happens when the best year ends and another begins.  And why do all the special teas smell so delicious and taste like regular tea?  Peace out.

No comments: