Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Threshold

Threshold

I stumble
into a dark room
surprised by the darkness
and the slow reaction of light
The night overwhelms me
It's too cold outside
and it's too hot in here
The only comfortable position
at the moment
is straddling the threshold
Close the door.
Do as you're told!

I know that I haven't written in quite a while. I purposely allowed my beautiful writing streak to come to an end. I would have posted to say that I was taking a break but I didn't want to increase the post count and thus make it more work for me to count how many poems I wrote this year when I look back on New Year's eve.

Anyways, last night, the compact fluorescent bulb in my room burnt out. It was weird. It seemed to have spider webs at the base and maybe if spider silk is conductive, it shorted out. I had to replace it with another bulb. This new bulb doesn't light up right away like my old one. It takes a little while for it to light up my room. It catches me off guard and every time I turn on my light, I have the instant reaction of, "Oh man, my light is burnt out" only to have it come on a fraction of a second after I expect it to.

Life is really frustrating or scary when things don't go as you expect them. Sometimes it feels like you're walking into the dark and it takes a little time before your path gets lit. I dunno what I'm saying. I think I'm trying to sound deep and profound without actually saying anything.

Maybe I'll see you tomorrow... or maybe not. No more pressure of keeping streaks alive for 2010. Peace out.

No comments: