Thursday, April 8, 2010

Changing Landscapes

Changing Landscapes

I've lost track of the years
they all just blend together
as time throws me over its shoulder
and runs as fast as it can

The landscape has changed
Friendships have been rearranged

You used to stand here
but now you're over there
and we don't talk anymore
calling would be too much of a chore
and even though it takes more energy
I choose to ignore you

The landscape has changed
I think about you until I'm messed up in the head
We landed on opposite sides of the watershed

Today, I was going through my music library. It's amazing how much music you can collect throughout the years. I've forgotten about so many songs that I've loved and when I hear the first few measures of the songs, the memories come rushing back. How many games of spider solitaire or free cell did I play as I was listening to that song on loop? Wow. Crazy stuff.

A couple weeks ago, I saw an article on Digg about an instruction book on how to break up with friends. It was really sad. I was reading little blurbs about how some friendships just fell apart. The book addresses how to pro-actively end friendships... I think. I never read it and I don't even remember the title. Most of us just allow our friendships to slowly fade and die. Before long, they are just a fuzzy memory and a photograph taken many years ago.

I think the idea of breaking up with friends is something that is new and is partially a result of social networks. I mean, it's so easy to maintain a "friendship" on something like Facebook. But what if one side wants to cut all ties? I feel that's something that isn't really covered growing up. A study showed that a person cannot realistically maintain meaningful friendships with more than 150 people. How many Facebook friends do you have? How many do I have? How meaningless.

I don't like deleting songs. I have the harddrive space so I might as well keep them right? Sometimes going through my Facebook friends list is like going through my music library. There are some friends that I miss a lot and would like to give them another spin around the block. Other friends are hardly even acquaintances and are just pictures from a highschool yearbook; a song that seemed to have gone out of style. Peace out.

No comments: