Sunday, April 11, 2010

New Eyes

New Eyes

Give me some new eyes
to see myself with
Train them well and help them memorize
the shapes and colours
proportions and relative distances
The instances of looking at a picture
and thinking "that doesn't look like me"
needs to be a thing of history
Something only the old me would say

I dunno. How many times have you looked at a picture of yourself and thought, "is that what I really look like?" I do that every time I look at a picture of myself. I hope I'm just not photogenic... otherwise, I'm one ugly dude. Haha.

I fancy myself as someone that has an interest in the arts. One pitfall in learning to draw is relying on your memory to draw things. That's why drawing from life is so important. Often times we have ideas in our head about what we look like, or what the human eye looks like. Sometimes, we just don't look at things with a critical enough eye. For instance, you may see your mom's hair everyday but when you come down to trying to draw it from memory, you find yourself struggling cause you don't really know what it looks like.

I enjoy watching reality tv. And for certain shows, if I'm really into them, I like to listen to interviews of the contestants when they get voted off or eliminated or however they leave the show. Anyways, I'm sometimes amazed about how differently they see themselves compared to what the general public sees. I understand that the shows are edited to maximize the drama but sometimes at the end of the day, you either said a jerkish thing or you didn't. "Is that me?" "Is that what I look like?" "Is that what I sound like?" **rolls his eyes. "What? I always roll my eyes?" Peace out.

No comments: