Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Flashover

Flashover


Flashover – the word that fire fighters fear most
Sudden flame and heat: too hot, too fast
Flash over – claimed the lives of two heroes
Flags Canada wide are flying at half mast


That was a really weak poem but when I watched this news story tonight, I knew I wanted to write a poem in tribute to the two fire fighter captains that died in a house on Sunday fighting a fire when a flash over happened. I’m not sure how accurate my numbers are but according to the news reporter, a fire can burn around 100’s of degrees Celsius but when a flash over occurs, the temperatures can very quickly reach 1000’s of degrees.

I’m not sure why, but I’ve been a little emotional lately. Especially today but I think it was because I was pretty tired. Anyways, when I was watching the story on the news, I already felt like my eyes were starting to water, but when they talked about how all the fire houses in Winnipeg are flying at half mast, that got me a little closer to shedding a tear. And when they showed that all fire houses in Canada had their flags at half mast that was enough to make a tear run down my cheek. Sigh.

No comments: