Sunday, September 8, 2013

Bones

Can't we just bury it?
This bone of contention 
keeps coming back
Always finding its place in the top three
on our whiteboard as we keep score
Who hurt the other more
That thing you said two years ago that haunts me
Still making me doubt my worth as a man
Questioning if I can see you with new eyes
Ignoring all the other guys that once found themselves
here
I fear this
I miss the easy days
Before all this decay set in
When our smiles were perfect
and had nothing to hide

I find it so hard to not be keeping score in my relationships.  I wonder if that's because I always think I'm on the winning side.  Maybe people who don't have a tendency to keep score are the ones who are on the losing side.  Does being the bigger person count if you keep it away as ammunition for a fight later?  I have an early meeting tomorrow.  Peace out.

No comments: