Sunday, August 10, 2014

Old Song

The taste of imitation lingers in my mouth
like ringing in my ear after a loud boom
the metal spoon rolling between my fingers
dexterous distraction
firing nerves from my hand to my brain
fake cake and wax candles
edible lies and good intentions
my stomach craves authenticity 
electricity
and the taste of an old song

Spoiler alert:  The title gives it away.  I'm not on a diet in case anyone assumed that from today's piece.  And I didn't have any cake today.  Today is a good day to talk about fake things.  Or maybe not fake things but things that are not as good as what they are trying to be like.  Well, maybe they aren't even trying to be like them, but they just get grouped with them... What am I talking about?  I'm talking about hearing a song that makes you want to listen to this other totally more awesome song.  Or watching a movie that reminds you of another better movie.  Or reading a line in a book that makes you totally want to read all 3 books from a different author.

How do the mediocre survive in a world with superlatives?  Peace out.

No comments: